Working out / Bodybuilding

DamienSullivan

So there is probably quite a few of us on here who have been working out over the years, either in the gym, or at home. Others may get their exercise from the gardening, or have plans/aspirations to get in shape and lose some weight, perhaps so they can stay on top of the gardening properly. Either way I thought I would make a thread for this so people can share their experiences or journey's.

I started working out in the gym at 17 and competed in powerlifting contests during my early twenties. At one point I could deadlift 600 pounds and bench press over 400 pounds for reps. I had a few injuries over the years and backed away from the gym a bit around 27. Then following the Covid lockdowns, I stopped going to the gym completely for over a year and then only went back sporadically after i.e. 2-3 times a month, then not at all for say 2 months. Last year there was a period of 5 months where I didn't step foot in the gym once, and as of right now, I have only been to the gym 3 times so far in 2024. I also don't work out at home at all, which I probably should have done.

Consequently, I have dropped muscle mass and gained fat, especially over the past 2 years. I am not in great shape right now, compared to how I used to be say 5 years ago. However I am adamant about getting back on track and certainly dropping body fat %, which is the main priority right now. I don't need to build muscle mass as I am carrying a fair bit of size still. I do however need to get some definition back and tone up a fair bit. I also expect to drop muscle mass while cutting down body fat % due to the calorie deficit. I will also try to start lifting weights properly on 2-3 days a week, as well as maybe incorporating some cardio.

Start date - 28/03/2024 (photos taken past 2 days)

Weight - 265 pounds / 119kg / 18.8 stone

Body fat - 25% (approximate)

Height - 5'10.5

Age - 31

Dasperedyn

Good luck on your journey and don't give up. Your age (30s and 40s) is kind of a turning point for a lot of humans because life and work and family can get complicated and suck up all your time and energy.

fjejgiei

I used to hit the gym regularly, but after a few life changes and some setbacks, I found it hard to stay consistent. I realized that focusing on what I could control was key. When I wanted to get back in shape, I started using goat protein powder to help with my recovery and to keep my energy up. It mixes really well in smoothies, and I noticed a difference in how I felt after workouts. I’ve also been doing some bodyweight exercises at home and even picking up gardening, which helps keep me active.